Just stuff….

Life is picking up here in Zambia.  The children have struggled quite a bit to go to sleep at a decent hour.  They are slowly, but surely, getting there.

The children have not left our complex (neighborhood) until today.  They have so enjoyed just being kids!  Having friends around 24/7 is great fun!  I have been busy setting up house and organizing the food and re-training my kitchen staff.  It is always a fun adventure communicating American ways to the Zambians.

Yesterday I was blessed by Erin (the wife of our staff member who lives here).  She kept an eye on our kiddos so I could go out into the community.  I LOVE seeing the Zambian children.  The plus to my jaunt yesterday was that my husband was with me!  I LOVED being with him as he led a small group of Americans around the compounds.  We stopped in at one of the new schools our ministry opened a few weeks ago.  I was thrilled to see some positive things going on.  Of course schools look VERY different than what I am accustomed to back in the states. Hate to confess that we American teachers are SPOILED!

While we were out and about, we had to run an errand to the bus station.  It always amazes me how long one small errand can actually take!  I have heard about the bus station but had not experienced it until yesterday.  Our driver and the husband left us (three other gals and one man) in the car with the windows completely rolled up.  Our driver took the keys so we were unable to roll down the windows.  And we DID NOT want to!  15 minutes passed and two men in orange vests started tapping on our windows and demanded us to roll down our windows.  Ryan (the one guys) kept saying, “We can’t!  No keys.”  Apparently the random Zambian who parked us, parked us in a NO Parking zone.  The two men put a boot (a poor excuse for one) on the front wheel.  When the husband returned with our driver, the two men demanded 30,000 Kwacha.  The husband paid the men.  I am fairly certain they pocketed the cash.  Oh well!

Last night the husband came home before midnight so we actually fell asleep next to each other and woke up at the same time too!  After the husband ran around a bit this morning arranging some programming for the new Americans that arrived early this morning, we grabbed the kids, jumped on a bus and had a lovely brunch at Mint, one of our favorite restaurants here.  This morning was the FIRST time we have sat down as a family and ate a meal together.  Loved it!  I was sooooo excited to see my friend, Eunice.  I met Eunice last year during my many visits to Mint Cafe.  She was 6 months pregnant.  We hit it off and got together a few times.  The last time I saw her I asked her what she wanted to name her baby. She said she was probably having a boy and wanted to name him after my boy.  I thought that was nice but left thinking that wouldn’t really happen.  But it did!  She named that cute little baby after my firstborn!  I was thrilled and so was my son!!!

Today has been full of many odds and ends.  FLMI staff have been running back and forth to the airport, transporting luggage, sorting donations, making nametags, cleaning villas, trouble shooting, etc.  I fed about 17 people for lunch and have done 15 loads of laundry for the folks staying another week of Camp Life.  Now I am heading to the big kitchen to finish preparing the evening meal for 100 people.  I love serving others in this capacity but I sure am tired some days.

Happy Saturday from Zambia!








  1. sincerelyanna
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

    Great to read how things are going. Praying for you!

  2. Ella Tracy
    Posted June 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

    I’m so glad to read about your busy and interesting time so far – so glad, too, and you, and all the family, are doing well. Try to get a little rest tomorrow!!!

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: